Via Monte Baldo 3/c • Peschiera del Garda - VERONA
Book Now
Peschiera Unesco heritage
Patrimonio dell'UNESCO le mura di Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera Unesco heritage

L’Unesco rewards the walls of Peschiera: «World Heritage»
In Krakow, the summit recognizes the importance of Venetian fortifications: in addition to the Veronese garrison, awards also for Palmanova and Bergamo

UNESCO has declared the ancient defensive walls of Peschiera del Garda, a World Heritage Site. This happened in 2017 as part of the consultations in Cracow in Poland for the safeguard of defensive masonry works carried out by the Serenissima Republic of Venice. Together with Peschiera, the city of Bergamo also rejoices in Italy

The fortifications of Peschiera originate with the Republic of Venice. When the latter, in the fifteenth century, took possession of the fortress of Peschiera decided to renew the fortifications. Already in 1547 the Serenissima, in particular with the administrator of Salò Marcantonio Morosini, had become aware of the urgency of the intervention in a site exposed to the aims of the imperials. Morosini had stressed the particular geographical position of Peschiera, whose loss would have determined not only economic damage in terms of non-customs control of goods coming from northern Europe, but also a far more tragic division into two of the mainland domain, being Peschiera prepared in the strip of land between Lake Garda and the Mantuan border.

Morosini then proposed to create a pentagonal plant with angular bulwarks, straddling the river so as to incorporate the old structure; a scheme very close to what actually realized. In August 1549 the construction of the new fortress began, the first structure, “of struggles and terrain to put the said place in all safety and security,” was concluded within a few months. Therefore the belt was terraped and bastioned on a project drawn up by Guidobaldo della Rovere, whose works were entrusted to Michele Sanmicheli. This new fortified modern wall followed the trend of the medieval, then with 5 sides but with 5 corners protected by ramparts. Along the walls were also opened two doors, Verona gate and Brescia gate. Around the middle of the sixteenth century the Rocca Scaligera was modified and rebuilt to adapt it to the use of artillery. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, other restorations were carried out. In 1797 the fortress passed under the dominion of the Austrian Empire: Austria strengthened the defenses, then the French perfected the works to the east, and then towards the Austrian enemy who returned to it built two other military fortifications.